Monday, October 13, 2014


Put your hand up on my nip.  ParsNIP, that is.

I've been repeating that tag line in my head for the last hour and it keeps cracking me up.

Anyway, parsnips.  You need to get all up in that.  I never had a parsnip in my life until I started dating an Englishman who loved them.  I've heard them called carrots with attitude and that's actually pretty accurate.  They have a semi-sweet flavor, and are amazing roasted in the oven with a little bit of olive oil.   But when they're mashed or pureed, they have a starchy quality a lot like a potato.

As such, they make a great replacement for mashed potatoes.  They have almost half the calories and carbohydrates as potatoes and twice the fiber and nutrients.  For real, try them.  You won't be sorry you did!

Parsnip Mash with Goat Cheese and Thyme

4 large parsnips
4 oz goat cheese
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 cup chicken broth
3 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring chicken broth and water to a boil.  Add peeled and chopped parsnips. Boil for about 30 minutes or until fork tenders.

Drain parsnips and reserve some of the cooking liquid.  Place parsnips in the blender with goat cheese, thyme, butter, and salt and pepper.  Blend until smooth.  (You want a thicker consistency, add a little of the cooking liquid until you get a consistency you like).

Tip:  Eat this with Roasted Balsamic Dijon Chicken and some steamed greens like spinach or swiss chard.

(21 Day Fixers- there is much debate over whether a parsnip is a green or a yellow.  It's a yellow, the carbs and fiber content is too high to be considered a vegetable.  I'm eating my words on this because I called parsnips a green for so long.  I'm very sorry! 1 green container serving of parsnips would be considered 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 tsp)

Find me on Facebook!!


No comments:

Post a Comment