Friday, October 17, 2014


Casserole is just French for Love.

That's not actually true, but it should be.  I love casseroles, even though I hardly ever make them!  They're warm, and rich, and creamy and gooey and crunchy, and salty and ALL of those words mean love.

I'm not even sure where this recipe originated in my brain, I had never had Tuna Noodle Casserole before I made this up!  I had an extra large can of tuna, my husband was away on a business trip and I just wanted something comforting and easy.  So this is what I came up with!

It does take a few minutes longer then traditional Tuna Noodle Casserole, but I think it should!  I think if you want something comforting and yummy that it should be a labor of love!  If something comes to easy, it's probably not good for you!

Tuna Noodle Casserole:


½ box of whole grain penne (or whatever you like) 
2 tsp organic butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, minced
½ stalk celery, minced
4 cups Chopped vegetables (I used zucchini and carrot)
1 ½ cups chicken stock
½ cup nonfat milk
1 tsp fresh thyme (optional- I like to add to homey dishes)
1 tablespoon corn starch
½ cup cold water
1 large can of chunk white no-sodium tuna fish
¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Whole wheat bread crumbs
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta until almost cooked through. Drain and set to the side.

Melt butter and oil in a pan. Add onion and celery. Mix until soft, add chopped vegetables and stir. Let soften for a few minutes, then add chicken stock, milk and thyme. Bring to a low simmer.

Mix corn starch and water in a small bowl, and stir into vegetable mixture. Bring back to simmer and let it go for 5-10 minutes, whisking every now and then.

Once it reaches the desired thickness, add drained tuna and cheddar cheese. Stir in pasta.
Pour into a baking dish, and sprinkle some bread crumbs on top. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes and serve. 


Enjoy! 


Tip:  You can omit the corn starch and water and add some whole wheat flour to the chopped vegetables, oil and butter and create a roux.  Then whisk in chicken stock, milk and thyme!

(21 Day Fixers: I measured by the green container- my serving was 2 green containers full.  The breakdown for that would be 2 green, 2 yellow, 1/4 blue, 1 teaspoon, 1 red.  Not an exact science, but should be pretty close)


Like me on Facebook !!





No comments:

Post a Comment