Friday, November 7, 2014

Vegetable Pasta with Mini Turkey Meatballs


I believe that sometimes food should take some work.

Sometimes, it should take a little bit of work and a lot of love.

Do you think I'm weird now?  Oh, really?  Bite me.

The point is, that this dish is a bit involved.  I've held off on posting it (even though it's one of my ABSOLUTE favorites) because I feel that in this day and age, most people want something quick and easy.  This isn't quick and it takes a bit of chopping but I promise it is worth it in the end!

This recipe is perfect for big families.  It only uses half the box of penne, 1 lb of ground turkey and some veggies but it stretches out into a very large finished product.  I really hope you'll try it, and enjoy!

Vegetable Pasta with Mini Turkey Meatballs 

Meatballs-
1 lb. ground turkey
1/4 cup (1 blue) parmesan cheese
1/8 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 egg white
1 teaspoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons grated onion or 1 tsp onion powder
2 teaspoons minced garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
Handful of chopped parsley

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Preheat oven to 375, measuring with a tablespoon drop onto a sprayed, foil or parchment lined cookie sheet. (They should be small) Bake for 10-15 minutes.

Pasta and Veggies-
1/2 box whole grain penne

4 cups (4 green containers) of your favorite veggies. I used sliced carrots, zucchini, kale, spinach and broccoli. You can always use more veggies!)
1 sliced onion
1 cup (1.5 red containers) of ricotta cheese
2 cups (2 purple containers) of your favorite tomato sauce-- I use my own personal recipes.

Prepare pasta, drain and set aside.

In a large saucepan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Sautee onion and veggies. Add a bit of water and cover, allowing to steam through. Add vegetable mixture to pasta with ricotta and tomato sauce. Mix in meatballs and stir all ingredients together. Serve immediately with 1 blue container of parmesan.

2 yellow
2 green
2 red
1 tsp

1 blue 

Enjoy!  

Tip: You can replace the turkey in the recipe with ground beef, or chicken.  They would be just as good!

(21 Day Fixers- You may have to eyeball this, but I counted 2 green containers full as 2 yellow, 1 green, 1 red, 1 tsp and 1/2 blue)

Find me on Facebook!!





No comments:

Post a Comment